In December 2019 new laws came into effect in regard to pools and pool inspections in Bayside.
It is mandatory for swimming pool owners to do the following –
- register their pool or spa with the council before 1 November 2020 – go to councils website to do this
- have a pool inspection every four years
- lodge a pool and spa barrier compliance certificate with the council every 4 yrs
- pay the prescribed fees to council upon registration and lodgement of the certificate.
Once you register the pool or spa the council will advise you of the following –
- the date your pool or spa was constructed
- which Australian Standards apply to your pool that you need to comply to (there’s 4 different sets for different eras)
- the date which you must lodge the certificate.Once you have all this competed you need a licensed pool inspector to assess your barrier.
The council will advise when you have to have your certificate of compliance for your pool or spa barrier submitted –
- Pools constructed with or without a permit of 30 June 1994 or earlier – by the 1 November 2021
- Pools constructed from 1 July 1994 and 30 April 2010 – by 1 November 2022
- Pools constructed from 1 May 2010 until 31 May 2020 – by the 1 November 2023
- Pools constructed after 1 November 2020 – at the time of registration.
Barriers ARE required for the following –
- in ground pools and spas
- above ground pools and spas
- relocatable and inflatable pools that require assembly on site and can carry 30 cm of water.
Barriers are NOT required for the following –
- inflatable pools – typically toddler or wading pools that can not contain a water depth greater than 30 cm
- small inflatable pools that do not consist of multiple components
- small inflatable pools that don’t consist multiple components, for example a small blow up pool with no other components
- bird baths, fish ponds and reflection pools
- water supply, storage tanks, dams.
- baths used for person hygiene and emptied after each use
- spas inside a building (eg bathroom)
- pools and spas that can not contain a water depth of 30 cm.
I hope this information has cleared it up for you and if you need any assistance please call us.