THE ONLY WAY TO BECOME A QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR IS TO HAVE A DEGREE OR DIPLOMA IN BUILDING SURVEYING.
IN MELBOURNE THERE ARE SOME PURPORTING TO BE BUILDING INSPECTORS AFTER PAYING $2000 FOR AN ONLINE COURSE AND SAYING THEY ARE CERTIFIED HOUSE INSPECTORS. THERE IS NO SUCH THING UNDER THE BUILDING ACT 1993.
INSURANCE COMPANIES HAVE CLAMPED DOWN ON PEOPLE WITHOUT QUALIFICATIONS SO MAKE SURE YOU SEE THEIR INSURANCE CERTIFICATE!!!
WHAT IS A QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR?
1. In Victoria you need a Degree or Diploma of Building Surveying to be a qualified building inspector – Peter is a fully qualified building inspector having successfully completed a Diploma of Building Surveying.
Some say they are qualified after completing a 2 – 5 day course online. These courses are not recognised by the VBA or the Building Act 1993 and do not qualify anyone as an actual building inspector. See Peter’s Diploma below.
2. Peter is qualified to carry out termite inspections and timber pests inspections having successfully completed Certificate 3 in Asset Maintenance. Peter is also qualified to carry out asbestos sampling. (See certificates below)
3. Get them to send you a copy of their insurance certificate. Make sure your inspector has indemnity insurance incase they miss visible major defects. (See insurance certificate below)
Click to view Certificate of insurance
MR INSPECTOR TICKS ALL THE BOXES
✓ QUALIFIED – Degree of Diploma in Building Surveying required to be a building inspector.
✓ QUALIFIED – Certificate 3 in Timber Pest Management – Technical
✓ INSURED – Fully insured with indemnity and liability insurance
✓ EXPERIENCED – 15 years doing inspections. Most are in and out in 2 yrs
✓ WELL KNOWN – used by leading buyers agents/advocates lawyers and conveyancers.
✓ KNOWLEDGEABLE – assisted in building defects list for My Inspection App currently used world wide.
✓ EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE – constant updates, never ending advice and on the phone to 10.30 p.m.
IMPORTANT ADVICE FROM A FULLY QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR
I advise that Under no circumstances agree to or request a verbal inspection – These inspections will not be covered by Insurance as verbal only house inspections are outside the scope of Australian Standard 4349.1 – pre-purchase building inspections.
COMBINED BUILDING & TERMITE INSPECTION – MOST POPULAR
Includes a 60-130 Page building and termite inspection report on major defects, minor defects, maintenance issues, safety hazards, termites, borer & timber fungal decay – All emailed on the same day.
$485 for 1 bedroom dwelling.
$585 for 2-4 bedroom dwelling.
$685 for 5-6 bedroom dwelling.
$785 for 7-8 bedroom dwelling
BUILDING INSPECTION ONLY or a TIMBER PEST INSPECTION ONLY
60-90 page inspection report on major defects, minor defects, maintenance issues and safety hazards – emailed on same day.
$385 for 1 bedroom dwelling.
$485 for 2-4 bedroom dwelling.
$585 for 5-6 bedroom dwelling.
$685 for 7-8 bedroom dwelling
HANDOVER INSPECTIONS ON NEW DWELLINGS
Includes a 60-130 Page defects report based on certain defects within the Guide to Tolerances and Standards 2015. Does not include appliances, land size and dwelling size.
$770 for 1-2 bedroom dwelling.
$880 for 3-4 bedroom dwelling.
$990 for 5-6 bedroom dwelling.
$1100 for 7-8 bedroom dwelling
NOTE: An additional fee for distances outside CBD will apply – $50 for 30-50 km, $100 for 51 km to 70 km, $200 for 71 km to 100 km, $400 for 101 km to 150 km.
CANCELLATION – A cancellation Fee of up to $300 may apply if we are not notified within 5 hours of the confirmed Inspection time.
THINGS TO DO AND ASK WHEN LOOKING FOR COMPETENT INSPECTORS
- Get a sample report from them to start with. Then you will know what you are paying for.
- Request a copy of the certificate of insurance – some say they carry their own insurance which means they are not insured. Mine is above.
- Request a copy of their qualifications – mine are above.
- On the phone, Ask the inspector what the Australian Standard section the report complies with – if they don’t know 4349.1 (pre-purchase Building inspection) and 4349.3 (Timber Pest Inspection) you’ve called the wrong place
- Ask if the inspector does verbal only reports (no report) for a cheaper fee? If they say yes, its likely they are not insured because insurance companies won’t cover verbal reports.
- What time can I call you after the inspection? Some close at 5 p.m. We’re available on mobile to 10.30 p.m.
- Does the report contain labelled photographs of defects?
- Is the report at least 60 pages in length?
- Is the report emailed on the same day?
Once you have confirmed the above points, you will know exactly what you are getting for your money and you’ll be covered if anything goes wrong.
You can pay Mr Inspector by Visa Card, Master Card, cash or Internet Banking. We can only send you the inspection reports once we have either received payment or confirmation of payment if you are internet banking.