In Victoria a person inspecting your potential million dollar property does not need any experience, qualifications or insurance.
There are some that say they a certified house inspector. This only means they did an online course that cost them about $2000.
In Victoria you need a Degree or Diploma of Building Surveying to be a qualified building inspector – Peter is a fully qualified building inspector having successfully completed a Diploma of Building Surveying and Doug is a qualified brick layer.
It is important that whoever inspects your home has some building qualification and they should be at least be an experienced carpenter, builder, bricklayer or qualified building inspector.
2. Peter is qualified to carry out termite inspections and timber pests inspections having successfully completed Certificate 3 in Asset Maintenance. Peter is also qualified to carry out asbestos sampling. (See certificates below)
MR INSPECTOR TICKS ALL THE BOXES
✓ QUALIFIED – Degree of Diploma in Building Surveying required to be a building inspector.
✓ EXPERIENCED – Doug is a Qualified Bricklayer and timber pest inspector.
✓ QUALIFIED – Certificate 3 in Timber Pest Management – Technical
✓ INSURED – Fully insured with indemnity and liability insurance
✓ EXPERIENCED – 15 years doing inspections. Most are in and out in 2 yrs
✓ WELL KNOWN – used by leading buyers agents/advocates lawyers and conveyancers.
✓ KNOWLEDGEABLE – assisted in building defects list for My Inspection App currently used world wide.
✓ EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE – constant updates, never ending advice and on the phone to 10.30 p.m.
IMPORTANT ADVICE FROM A FULLY QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR
I advise that Under no circumstances agree to or request a verbal inspection – These inspections will not be covered by Insurance as verbal only house inspections are outside the scope of Australian Standard 4349.1 – pre-purchase building inspections.
BUILDING INSPECTION (NO TERMITE INSPECTION)
60-90 page inspection report on major defects, minor defects, maintenance issues and safety hazards – emailed on same day.
1-2 bedroom – $400 +GST
3-4 bedroom – $500 +GST
5 bedroom – $600 +GST
6 bedroom – $700 +GST
COMBINED BUILDING & TERMITE INSPECTION – MOST POPULAR
Includes a 60-130 Page building and termite inspection report on major defects, minor defects, maintenance issues, safety hazards, termites, borer & timber fungal decay – All emailed on the same day.
1-2 bedroom – $500 +GST
3-4 bedroom – $600 +GST
5 bedroom – $700 +GST
6 bedroom – $800 +GST
HANDOVER INSPECTIONS ON NEW DWELLINGS
Includes – full report and photographs (typically 80-150 pages), follow up consultation with builders, trades etc and reinspect when rectified. Does not include appliances, land size and dwelling dimensions/size.
$1100 – 2-4 hour inspection based on Guide to Tolerances and Standards 2015
NOTE: An additional fee for distances outside CBD will apply – $50 for 30-50 km, $100 for 51 km to 70 km, $200 for 71 km to 100 km, $400 for 101 km to 150 km.
CANCELLATION – A cancellation Fee of up to $300 may apply if we are not notified within 5 hours of the confirmed Inspection time.
THINGS TO DO AND ASK WHEN LOOKING FOR COMPETENT INSPECTORS
- Get a sample report from them to start with. Then you will know what you are paying for.
- Request a copy of the certificate of insurance – some say they carry their own insurance which means they are not insured. Mine is above.
- Request their qualifications – mine are above.
- Ask if the inspector does verbal only reports (no report) for a cheaper fee? If they say yes, its likely they are not insured because insurance companies won’t cover verbal reports.
- What time can I call you after the inspection? Some close at 5 p.m. We’re available on mobile to 10.30 p.m.
- Does the report contain labelled photographs of defects?
- Is the report at least 60 pages in length?
- Is the report emailed on the same day?
Once you have confirmed the above points, you will know exactly what you are getting for your money and you’ll be covered if anything goes wrong.
You can pay Mr Inspector by Visa Card, Master Card, cash or Internet Banking. We can only send you the inspection reports once we have either received payment or confirmation of payment if you are internet banking.