In Melbourne, Building Inspection costs will vary depending on the qualifications of persons inspecting your potential property, the experience of the inspector and the size of the dwelling.
BUYERS BEWARE – “My enquiries reveal, unfortunately, that the majority of people doing pre-purchase building inspections in Melbourne are not qualified building inspectors. Some say that are Certified House inspectors but this is not recognised as a qualified Building Inspector. To be a qualified building inspector in Victoria you must have completed a degree of diploma in building surveying, as per the Building Act. A certified house inspector has done an in house course with an inspection company which normally takes 2 days.” – Peter Alexander – Building Inspector – Director.
MR INSPECTOR TICKS ALL THE BOXES
✓ QUALIFIED – Degree of Diploma in Building Surveying required to be a building inspector.
✓ QUALIFIED – Certificate 3 in Timber Pest Management – Technical
✓ INSURED – Fully insured with indemnity insurance incase we miss something which we won’t.
✓ EXPERIENCED – 14 years doing inspections. Most are in and out in 2 yrs
✓ WELL KNOWN – used by leading buyers agents/advocates lawyers and conveyancers.
✓ KNOWLEDGEABLE – assisted in defects list for My Inspection App currently used world wide.
✓ EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE – never ending advice and on phone to 10.30 p.m.
THINGS TO DO AND ASK WHEN LOOKING FOR COMPETENT INSPECTORS
- Get a sample report form them to start with. Then you will know what you are paying for.
- Request a copy of the certificate of insurance – some say they carry their own insurance which means they are not insured
- Ask the inspector what the Australian Standard section the report complies with – if they don’t know 4349.1 (pre-purchase Building inspection) and 4349.3 (Timber Pest Inspection) you’ve called the wrong place
- Ask if the inspector does verbal only reports (no report) for a cheaper fee? If they say yes, remember verbal reports are not covered by insurance if they miss something.
- What time can I call you after the inspection? Some close at 5 p.m. We’re available on mobile to 10.30 p.m.
- Does the report contain labelled photographs of defects?
- Is the report at least 60 pages in length?
- Is the report emailed on the same day?
Once y0u have confirmed the above points, you will know exactly what you are getting for your money and you’ll be covered if anything goes wrong.
IMPORTANT ADVICE FROM A FULLY QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR
I advise that Under no circumstances agree to or request a verbal inspection – These inspections will not be covered by Insurance as verbal only house inspections are not permitted under Australian Standards 4349.1 – pre-purchase building inspections.
BUILDING INSPECTIONS MELBOURNE – COST
BUILDING INSPECTION ONLY – 80-100 page report
$400.00 (1-2 bed)
$500.00 (3-4 bed)
$600.00 (5-6 bed)
$700.00 (7+ Bed)
COMBINED BUILDING AND TERMITE INSPECTION – 100-150 page report
$500.00 (1-2 bed)
$600.00 (3-4 bed)
$700.00 (5-6 bed)
$800.00 (7+ bed)
PEST INSPECTION ONLY – 40-60 page report
$400.00 (1-2 bed)
$500.00 (3-4 bed)
$600.00 (4-5 bed)
$800.00 (6+ bed)
HANDOVER INSPECTION – 100-150 page report
$600.00 (1-2 bed) OR $400 – paint defects not included.
$700.00 (3-4 bed) OR $600 – paint defects not included.
$800.00 (5-6 bed) OR $700 – paint defects not included.
NOTE: To do properly as per defects within the Guide to Standards and Tolerances 2015 these inspections can take 3-4 hours to complete.
DEFECTS INSPECTIONS FOR OWNERS
Fees as per pre-purchase inspections above.
ASBESTOS INSPECTION & SAMPLE
NOTE: Fees provided do not include GST, an additional fee for dwellings located 30 km outside CBD, have a Bungalow or multi level may apply, a cancellation Fee of up to $300 may apply if we are not notified within 5 hours of the confirmed Inspection time.
All inspections include a 50-120 page inspection Report with labeled inspection photographs which is emailed on same day.
You can pay Mr Inspector by Visa Card, Master Card, cash or Internet Banking. We can only send you the inspection reports once we have either received payment or confirmation of payment if you are internet banking.